Thursday, June 19, 2008

Equivocation

Equivocation was not mentioned in the book, but Prof Coopman talked about it in the lecture. I liked reading that part because it resinated with me very strongly. It was funny to read because I used to use equivocation very purposefully when I was a hostess at the restaurant I work in. 
When people ask how long their wait will be, its impossible to have the right answer. If I gave a real answer, it would only be a guess. Because I did not want to give people the wrong answer, (like saying 15 mins and their wait ending up being 25 mins) I always gave ambiguous answers that would not really tell them anything, but it satisfied most people and I would not have to give them a real answer. 

"How long is the wait?"
And I would give answers like, 
"Oh, well you're third on the list." or 
"There's a big party ahead of you, but they should be seated soon and you will be next." or
"There are 2 tables with their checks, so they might be getting up soon."

There were people once in a while who would say, "Yea, but how long is the wait." But like I said, I got away with that most of the time :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, Alek

I always wonder how the hostess knew how long the wait would be. But as for term is also useful when avoiding the "baby questions" for example i have a friends that uses this technique every time someone ask him or his wife question about questions having kid they often avoid say no or yes they simple say if we are blessed with children then we will have them but until then i do not know... and this is every time.... even when i ask ....